The remnants of Columbus are located on the edge of Columbus Salt Marsh, five miles to the southwest.
The town was initially settled in 1865, when a quartz mill was erected at the site. This was a favorable location for a mill, because it was the only spot for several miles around, where water was in sifficient quantity for operation.
The full importance of Columbus was not recovgnized until 1871, when William Troop discovered borax in the locality. Shortly thereafter, four borax companies were actively engaged in working the deposits on the marsh.
Columbus probably reached its most prosperous year about 1875, when the population was reported to have reached 1,000. In 1875, the town had many kinds of business establishments, including, a post office and a newspaper, The Borax Miner.
1881, about 100 people were left after the borax activity had practically seased. All mining and milling operations stopped entirely, shortly after that time.
Nevada State Historic Marker No. 20
Nevada State Park System